Saturday, September 5, 2009

Are we prepared for the risks?

I received a phone call this morning from my pastor. A new family in our church had just experienced a death and I was asked to co-ordinate meals. I called the family later this afternoon and made arrangements to take them a meal tonight.

I was so thankful that I had just made a trip to Sam's and had enough spaghetti sauce and noodles and salad to feed at least 15 people. My daughter made the 30 minute trip with me to deliver the food.

After taking the food inside we took a few minutes to visit. I'm not quite sure how to act in these situations since I don't really know this family; I have no relationship with them other than saying hi to them in church. But being able to take food to them was a blessing and a joy and I hope that this is just the beginning of a deeper relationship. The short conversation we had has left me intrigued with getting to know them better.

And while there wasn't a heavy sadness in the home, hearing about how this mother/grandma died brought a sadness to my heart. Apparently sometime in the near past, she had gastric bypass surgery. And while she lost weight, her body wasn't absorbing nutrients. They were able to put a feeding tube in her last night but she ended up passing away in the early morning. My heart goes out to this family.

This news about someone I hadn't even met has left me pondering a lot about my weight and life tonight.

Many who choose the bypass, do it because they don't believe anything else will or has worked. They desire to get healthy. They don't want to be fat....obese. Many opt for this surgery because they are concerned with dying an early death due to their weight/health. I guess that's why this is so sad to me. The very thing that is supposed to help actually hurt.

The risks are so real. Are we really prepared for the risks?

This isn't the first person I've heard of who has died from this type of surgery. I also have a friend who has been suffering ever since her surgery. And while I know of success stories and I am thrilled for them...I can't help but feel sadness for the ones that weren't successful. When we go into surgery they always tell us our risks and that death could be one of the risks. Yet how many actually believe that it will happen.......to us?

I am thrilled that I weighed in today with a loss of -1.8 lbs.

But this news of someone dying from gastric bypass has put a slight damper on my enthusiasm and makes me realize this is serious. Losing weight is serious!! Being healthy is important!! And what we chose to reach that goal can have some serious risks!!

I am more determined than ever to be successful in my weight loss through Weight Watcher's.

There is a part of me that want's to see bigger results than losing 1-3 lbs a week. And even though there are "dangers" to losing weight too fast, I'd like to think I wouldn't be the one at risk. I'm sure this lady who passed away today thought she wouldn't be the one at risk either. It's a very sobering thought.....

In this journey of losing weight are we really prepared for the risks if we choose options that have serious consequences? Gastric bypass, diet pills, and losing weight too fast to name a few.

I really need to be content with my small weight losses....because in the long run it's safer and those little losses do eventually add up to big losses....

RIP dear lady...even though I never met you, your death has impacted me and has forever changed the way I view weight loss. And I am happy to hear that you had a relationship with Jesus Christ....one day I will actually get to meet you.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Debbie... I can 'feel' that emotion. Something to really ponder... gosh.

    Also, congrats on 1.8 pounds my DEAR friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete