Saturday, November 6, 2010

Thankful for Read-Alouds

On facebook many of my friends are using the month of November to post things they are thankful for...I feel the need to blog about the things I am thankful for.

I've been homeschooling my children since 1993.  That's a LONG time...and unless I meet the Lord soon I plan on homeschooling until my youngest graduates, which is another seven years.  One of the perks is the books I get to read out loud to my children.  Books I never read nor had  heard of  until I embarked on this homeschooling journey. 

Anyways, when first starting to read chapter books aloud to my children I remember my throat getting sore and my voice going hoarse, but that went away after I built up those "muscles".  Also, not being used to reading aloud, let me just say it can be very intimidating at first and very monotone...in other words...BORING!! But after getting used to reading aloud I started gaining confidence to where I now will give "voices" to the characters. 

Reading chapter books aloud is one of my most favorite activities to do with my children. And something I probably would not have done if I didn't homeschool. [I'll leave that for another thankful post]



One book we are about to finish is "Amos Fortune Free Man" by Elizabeth Yates.  This is actually my second time to read it aloud.  My youngest two boys were too young to remember much about this story and I was thrilled to see this along with other great books scheduled into the My Father's World curriculum we are using.

So what am I thankful for????  I am thankful for read-alouds that introduce interesting,  godly men [and women] of character to my family. 

The gist of this story is.....

Amos was born in Africa in the early 1700's.  His father was a king and the day he, Amos, was to take that position his tribe was attacked and many were captured to be sold as slaves.  Amos had a moment he could have gotten his freedom while being taken down a river in a canoe....listen to what he says in his own words...

"Once, long years ago, I though I could set a canoe-load of my people free by breaking the bands at my wrists and killing the white man who held the weapon.  I had the strength in my hands to do such a deed and I had the fire within, but I didn't do it."


"What held you back?"


"My hand was restrained and I'm glad that it was, for the years between have shown me that it does a man no good to be free until he knows how to live, how to walk in step with God."

This man was brought to America and sold as a slave.  He finally received his manumission papers when he was 50 years old.  One of his "masters" had been a tanner and Amos learned the trade.  Amos became a very well know and respected tanner.  He also used his hard earned money to buy the freedom of others...mainly the women he married.  His first two wives died within a year of being married but his third wife and he were married for many years.

When Amos was in his 80's his wife asked him...

"You'd set all the world free if you could, wouldn't you, Amos?"

He shook his head.  "Just the part of it that I can touch.  That's all any man can do."

Such wisdom....such truth!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh thanks for that! Looks like a great book to read out loud! I'm reading books outloud to Annah from the Heart of Dakota series and so far, this first one is boring boring boring. She seems to like it but I don't. And the history part of books for K is just way to over her head ...need something more simple, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete