Saturday, May 22, 2010

That's the Book for Me!




Trying to write one's thoughts about revelation they receive is not always easy. Where do you start? I have so many thoughts fluttering around in my brain and heart but I decided before I go any further I need to explain something.

When I look back at my life I realize that religion has always been a part of it. When I was little I learned about Jesus and God and angels and the devil. There was this Children's Bible I remember thumbing through because I liked looking at the pictures, especially the picture of the flood. I was raised in the denomination of my parents and their parents and so on down the line.

However, when I reached my early 20's there was one event that stopped me in my tracks and totally changed my life. I became pregnant. I wasn't married. It was the darkest time in my life because of all the guilt and shame I felt. Especially since I had been such a "good girl" till then. Of course I know now I wasn't really all that good then but because my sin's were not noticeable I appeared the "good girl". Now that I was pregnant EVERYONE would know my sin. It was a dark...dark...dark time for me. I even contemplated abortion and suicide because I was so ashamed.

Once I determined I would continue with the pregnancy I then had to break it to my parents. Talk about hard. I was their only daughter. The apple of my father's eye [as my mother likes to call me] I was a good Catholic girl....well at least outwardly. I finally got the courage to call my parents and painfully shared with them my news. Their reaction was NOT what I expected. My mother was excited. And my father....I could tell he was disappointed but he told me that if Jesus could forgive him then he, my father, could do no less towards me. [Talk about humbling]

Because of this event I started going back to church. Seeking for something....at the time I didn't know what it was. My parents had left the Catholic church and were attending a non denominational church and my mother recommended a church for me to visit in the Dallas area. I was a bit hesitant but I was seeing changes in my parents, good changes, that I was willing to go and visit.

It was at this church that I came to realize what it was I was searching for....Jesus. I had the head knowledge of Jesus but was lacking the heart knowledge or maybe a better way of saying it is a relationship with Jesus. I went forward during one of the services with tears streaming down my face. I didn't care who saw or what they thought. All I knew is that I needed to get to that altar to receive Jesus.

This happened 24 years ago and it has been the BEST decision I've ever made. My life has never been the same and God literally came in a took a bad situation and turned it around for good. After giving birth to my daughter I moved to Little Rock to live with my parents at their request. When Jordana, my daughter, was 5 weeks old I went on a canoe trip with my brother...he was trying to get me out and about. On this canoe trip I saw this guy who happened to be with the church group [I had never met him] and I knew...knew...knew...that I was going to marry him. I bid my time and a couple years later we were married. Celebrated 20 years this year.

Yes, this is a bit long winded but I needed to explain somethings before I started sharing my thoughts because it's important for anyone reading this to know that my life has been forever changed because of Jesus...the relationship with Him....understanding Him...and seeing myself and others through Him. I've learned and am learning about Him through reading His Word...the Bible. So as I share my ponderings know they come as a result of the things I am understanding in God's Word...and applying to life.

There is a song I taught my children and am currently teaching the preschool children at church and it goes like this...

The B-I-B-L-E
Yes that's the Book for me
I stand alone
on the Word of God
The B-I-B-L-E.....BIBLE!!!!


Such a profound truth said very simply!

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have the background from years past. I have often wondered how you got to where you are now. How happy I am that your "sin" gave you beautiful Jordana, and through her you now have your gorgeous granddaughter. The wonderful thing about having a relationship with Jesus is that He doesn't care what our past holds, he only cares about our future. Once we enter a close relationship with him, and continue to nurture it, we are guaranteed everlasting life. It's amazing, isn't it? I'm so happy for you that your life has turned out how it has. You are truly blessed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your testimony! You remind me of a flower that just keeps blooming. :)

    ReplyDelete