Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Love

37 Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
 
Most of us read this and totally miss the love yourself part.  And yet it's a pretty vital part or key in our ability to love our neighbors.

And how many of us really love the Lord with ALL our heart and ALL our soul and ALL our mind?  Not many!

Because most of us were not raised with Godly love it's hard to receive and give that kind of love.  What is Godly love? 

The Bible says that God is LOVE!   God IS love!  So if God is love couldn't we reword the above to say....  You must love love with ALL your heart....

I am realizing how lacking I am in the love department.  Sure I love my husband and I love Jesus and I love my children and I love my friends....but what does that really mean?  What does that look like?  Where do I get my ideas of love?

Lately I have come to realize that I don't really love myself.  Not in the Godly way...but rather more like how most of us love ourselves...in the selfish way.

And if one does not read the Bible or believe in God, then how does one love?  Heck...most people don't even read the Bible much less practice what's in it.  So, if the majority of people don't read and practice what is in the Bible then how do we love and what do we determine that love is?

God is love!  God loves me!  So basic but do we really understand what it means?  I'm learning. 


 

1 comment:

  1. Love is sacrifice. I didn't want this post to end, I was ready to keep reading...more more more! :)

    ReplyDelete