Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What a Change!

I just got back from a two night, three day get-away with my hubby. We like to do that each year to celebrate our anniversary. This year we are celebrating 20 years!

Even though I had limited computer access I still tracked my food using WW's tracking notebook. Then I came home today and entered it onto the computer. It isn't pretty. I am currently -24 points for the week. And while I should feel bad...I don't.

I actually am pleased with my choices. Especially in comparison to what I would have chosen just a year ago. In thinking about this I decided to share what I ate compared to what I would have ate last year.

Sunday...we ate at a hamburger joint called Maple & Motor, which apparently has the best hamburgers in Dallas.


So, of course I try the hamburger.

I ordered mine without cheese. [would have ordered with cheese and mayo last year] It comes with mustard.


I split an order of french fries with my hubby [Last year I would have eaten my own order of either French Fries, possibly with cheese, or Onion Rings]


I drank a diet Dr. Pepper [ would have drank a regular coke last year]

So... I saved approx. 15 points with those choices.


Monday we parked the car and walked all over down town Dallas. I can't believe I've lived here over 20 years and this is the first time to do this. For lunch we decided to eat Mexican. My hubby, Chris, loves Mexican and he is always so kind to eat where I want so I wanted to do unto him likewise. We stopped to eat at Sol Irlande's Mexican Grill in the heart of downtown Dallas.


I started off ordering the chicken taco salad with the cheese on the side. And I mixed about 1 Tbs. of sour cream into the salsa to make a "lite" dressing. But the salad tasted awful so after two bites I had them take it away and replace it with a bowl of Tortilla Soup, which tasted much better. I also ate a serving of tortilla chips with salsa and drank water.

Last year I would have ordered a bowl of queso to eat with the chips and we would have gone through at least two baskets of chips. Most likely I would have ordered a chicken enchilada with sour cream sauce, or chicken quesadilla's. I also would have drank regular coke.

Not sure of the points saved but I know it's quite a few.

For dinner we went and ate at a steak restaurant that came highly recommended by the manager of the hotel where we stayed. It is called Dunston's and it has to be one of THE BEST steak restaurants I've EVER been to. Between the atmosphere, prices, taste and serving staff it is one place that we will be going back to...it is well worth the drive.

http://www.dunstonssteakhouse.com/harryhines/index.htm

I ordered the 7 ounce Fillet Mignon. It came with salad and bread. I chose a baked potato as my side.

Last year I would have ordered the larger, 10 oz. mignon. I also would have loaded up my baked potato. This year I only put on approx. 1 Tbls. of sour cream and 2 Tbls. of shredded cheese. Again I ordered water.

This year I did order a bread pudding for dessert. Had it not been for our anniversary I would not have ordered a dessert but this was a special occasion and I wanted to splurge and enjoy. The pudding is home made and was it yummy.

Then today, Tuesday, for lunch we ate Chinese which is one of my favorite types of food to eat. But instead of getting our own, we just ordered one dish and shared it. Last year we would have ordered separately and I would have ate the whole thing.

So, even though I went over in points I am still proud of myself in that I made wiser choices and was much more conscious of what I was eating. Plus I tracked every morsel that passed my lips which is so easy not to do after a few days like mine...:-)

This weight loss journey is about sooooo much more than points. It's about change! It's about making wiser choices! It's about doing something different!

So while I may have bombed in the point category....I'm ok because I soared in the other categories.

I am changing and it feels good!!!

3 comments:

  1. You have changed a lot and are a constant source of inspiration to me. Although I haven't made too many changes in my eating habits, I have made a few and watching you make your choices keeps me aware of the choices I am making.
    I had a wonderfull time with you and and looking for a few more "twenties" with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you "bombed" your points at all. You made excellent choices and like you said, it's all about life changes. You are making better choices. Good for you!!! :)
    Much love, Lynn
    By the way, Happy, happy, happy anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your an inspiration.... I can feel a journal book coming along.... your good at writing... and taking pictures...put it in a book. :)

    ReplyDelete