Monday, August 24, 2009

Looking forward to exercise

I haven't been feeling well the last few days. So much so that I haven't had a lot of motivation to do much. However, I have made myself go to my exercise class. I LOVE deep water aerobics....LOVE IT!!!

I have done many different things for exercise but usually I have to force myself to do it. A friend asked me to go to a deep water aerobic class with her last June. I wasn't going to go because it is a little bit of a drive and the classes cost money. But I figured it couldn't hurt to try it at least once.

And once is all it took. The class is an hour long and it is quite invigorating. We start off by putting on a floatation belt and entering into the water. The water is on the cool side and we don't have time to get used to it...you just have to plunge in and start moving. Pretty soon you are working up a sweat and the water actually starts feeling good. I am one of the few in my class that dunks my whole body under the water. Most of the ladies don't get their hair wet.


I love that I get a whole body workout...being in the deep water has helped me to start getting some stomach muscles because my stomach is constantly getting a workout because I have to keep my body in a stable position. It's kind of like working out on a ball.

It did take me awhile to get the hang of some of the moves and I still have some problems with a few that require my brain to really focus to keep me coordinated.

About 2/3's way through the class we use floatation weights or noodles to focus on the muscles. The weights on land are very light but when used in the water they become challenging. Keeping them underwater while using them really gives me a workout because of the resistance of the water.

The last 5 minutes of the class is a strecthing time. And does that feel good.

Being a larger weight has hindered me from doing a lot of "land exercise" because of the pounding on the joints. But deep water aerobics allows me to get a full workout at a high intensity if I so choose. That's another beauty of this exercise. Each person can chose the intensity of the workout according to their ability. This week because I am not feeling all that well I workout at a lower intensity than I usually do and that's ok because I am at the place that anything is better than nothing.

Another benefit from this exercise is that I feel so much better. I may be sore the next day but it's a good sore. An even better benefit is that I am finally noticing the changes in my body. I am losing inches and my clothes are fitting better.

If you are looking for something to do for exercise...try deep water aerobics...you may just start looking forward to exercising...I know because I do!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very invigorating! Do these classes continue year round?
    I'm sorry you haven't been feeling good.
    (((( HUG )))

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes they do...but I am wondering how cold it will be in the winter...brrrrr!!! It's cold enough now and it's still the summer...

    ReplyDelete