Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Humbling Experience

So last weekend my family started getting ill and while there was no formal diagnosis the symptoms and the fact that everyone eventually got sick points suspiciously to the flu....coughing, sneezing, stopped up noses, headache, fever, and fatigue.   Usually I am the first one sick but it worked out good that I didn't start getting sick till most of the family started feeling better. [except for Hannah who tricked me and after a day of getting better actually got worse, but I already wrote about that in another post]

I admit that attending a photography class all day on Sunday wasn't the wisest thing to do.  But I had already paid for the class and figured I would be feeling better.  Of course with all the medicine and excitement I did feel better but that only lasted till I went to bed.  When I awoke on Monday I knew I would be paying for my day out on Sunday.  I could barely move.  I had enough energy to roll out of bed and onto the couch.  The boys and I did do some school and other than reading  about the only time I moved was to use the bathroom or take a bath.  Thankfully I did not have to worry too much about dinner since it was Hannah's night to help and I knew she was capable of making dinner by herself.

What I don't understand is... as miserable as I was....not one time did anyone in my family ask if they could get me anything....a drink....some food....a pillow...a blanket....nothing!!!   [As if it wasn't bad enough that my own body was punishing me for Sunday, now it felt like my family was too] 


Today I felt a little better and tonight when I started on dinner I was blessed by Mikayla when she asked if she could help me because she knew I wasn't feeling very good. [and she wasn't even scheduled to cook]   After she asked I  wanted to cry cause I felt so relieved that  someone cared.  It gave me a boost of energy and with her help dinner didn't feel so overwhelming.

Over all I am saddened and humbled by what I experienced these last two days.  When I needed help the most I received it the least.  It's very humbling!!   It's exposed a "red flag" in that we as a family need to learn how to serve one another.  We are good at helping when asked but we should also be good at helping and serving without being asked.  I know one of the best ways of teaching is by example...I need to be a better example.

3 comments:

  1. It certainly is another step we take when we begin noticing things we can do for others - before they ask for it. Teaching that skill to our kids is so important and sometimes so difficult too. A good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I for one need to apologize to you because I was not any help to you and I am sorry for that. This IS a good reminder of what it means to serve others and look for the needs that other people have, especially in our own family!
    Again, I am sorry and I will see if I can make it up to you this weekend!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete