Wednesday, February 3, 2010

It's a Journey NOT a Race


We've all heard the saying..."never go shopping when you are hungry", and yet how many of us actually follow that advice? Apparently not me!

Yesterday I ran some errands with the hubby. On our way home we needed to stop at the store to pick up a few items for dinner. As we were entering the store I mentioned how hungry I was and that this probably wasn't a good time to be shopping. But I resolved that I would not give in to my hunger.

Of course we get to one end of the store and I realize we need something from the other end, of which we had just been. So, crossing the front of the store I mention to my hubby that I will have to buy a bag of pretzels to snack on since I was so hungry I was starting to have some low blood sugar symptoms.

His response was, in my own words since I can't remember the exact way he said it was..."it would have been a Cadbury [candy] but now it's pretzels."

Yep, in the past I would have bought a candy bar to appease my hunger. And honestly, I can't remember the last time I've bought a candy bar for myself.

This is the difference between a race and a journey. I am not in a race to lose the weight, however, I am on a journey to change. I believe that even when I get the weight off, I will still not be buying myself a candy bar for a snack. Now, this doesn't mean I will never by a candy bar but rather it won't be the first thing I think of when needing a bit of food in my body.

It's these kinds of changes....the ones that aren't that obvious to me...but yet something that even my husband notices...that stop me in my tracks and make me realize...I am not the same kind of eater I was...and it gives me hope....that I'll not be that kind of eater again.

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I've always loved the word journey. And how awesome that your husband notices those changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is terrific! I was at the grocery store yesterday and was proud of myself too...I happened to be VERY hungry and knew that it would be so easy to succomb to purchasing something delicious (and fattening) but instead I bought a box of Weight Watchers brownies and nibbled on one as I drove home.

    ReplyDelete