Monday, December 14, 2009

Decimals are confusing

Saturday was my weigh in day....and was I surprised!!!!

I knew I had lost some weight because even though my scale isn't accurate it was showing a loss...my problem is that I don't know how much of a loss. So, it's always a surprise when I officially weigh in at the meeting.

Anyways....I lost a whopping -4.8 pounds.... not bad considering I haven't been able to get in any real exercise....ok, real isn't the right word....intense would be better. I did get in some walking and that is real exercise...I just did'nt do it as intensely as I would had I been doing my water aerobics.


This whole decimal .8 stuff is a bit confusing for me. For the longest time I thought .8 = 1/2 a pound...since there is 16 oz. to a pound. So I would read this weight loss as 4 and 1/2 pounds....but that is not true.
My husband let me know that it's very, very close to 5 pounds because it's by 10ths. He's very logical and I am more abstract so decimals and fractions can be very confusing if I don't "see it".

But now I understand...at least I think I do....

3 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, you are weigh ...hahha...anyways...you are weigh closer to 5 lbs than 4.5 Way to go!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you get the point now...or at least half of it..or would that be .8 of it? Hmmm, I'll have to think on that one. 8^)

    ReplyDelete