Thursday, June 10, 2010

Gotta Love Those New Seasons

I'm tired!!

This has been a long week.  Last Thursday I drove to Houston, Texas because I have a small "job" working for a company whose math curriculum I use and LOVE!!  A new season is upon me and it's an interesting one.

This is my 16th year educating my children at home.  One of the challenges of doing this is finding a curriculum that meets the needs of everyone involved.  With the older 4 children I have used a variety of math curriculum, trying to find that perfect fit.  About 6 years ago I came across a fairly new curriculum called Right Start Mathematics.  I really liked what I heard but to be honest was a bit hesitant about purchasing it because of the cost.  It's not one of the lesser expensive programs out there.  A year went by and while I was "drooling" over this curriculum I was trying out others that were not as costly.  But what I have come to realize is that while the price may not be expensive...it can still be costly.
Because if it's not helping us to learn and understand there is a greater cost than just the price.

Anywhoos... after sitting in a class at one of the local book fairs I was sold.  I plunged in....considered the cost....and made the purchase.  WOW!!!  Am I ever so thankful I did.  No more jumping around trying to find that perfect fit.  I transitioned the older 3 into it late in their schooling but where I am noticing the difference is in my two youngest who have ONLY used Right Start.  They are currently in the level I started the older ones in and this is where I see the fruit.  Their understanding of numbers and seeing patterns and thinking surpasses where the older ones were when starting this level.

Last year at the Plano book fair I was at the Right Start booth ordering something and the lady asked me if I would be interested in assisting in the booth sometime in the future.  I said sure and filled out my name and address.  Totally forgetting about it.

Jump forward to a little over a month ago when I was feeling overwhelmed about some things in regards to finances and went on a walk to just "cry out" to the Lord.  One of the things I "cried out" to Him about was needing new curriculum for next year.  About two weeks later I received a phone call asking if I would be an assistant in the Right Start booth in Arlington.  I didn't even have to think about it...I said yes.

While working in the booth that weekend I was asked if I would consider working at some other conventions within the state.  After talking it over with my hubby and the family we decided to give it a go.  The children are old enough that I feel comfortable leaving them until Chris gets home in the evening.  This would give me a chance to earn money for new curriculum AND I will get to encourage others who are educating their children at home.  Something I do anyways...but now I am getting paid.

Basically I am getting my feet wet this season and it's been interesting.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! It's so great getting paid for something you love to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome opportunity. God is always opening doors for us and I just marvel at how he always provides at just the right time. I'm really happy for you! Perhaps I should look at that program, not for my kids but for me!!! I need to go back to school and relearn math because I still have to add on my fingers, hahaha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just been thanking God over and over for it...its a testimony that made me smile and feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It never ceases to amaze me at how Gos works in our lives, especially yours. I'm so glad the He brought this across your path and that you took hold of it. Of course, we definitely miss you when you are not here, but I know it is for the good.
    See you tonight!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, almost 2 months now and no updates...Are you still here? 8^)

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete